Monday 11 November 2013

The versatile Log Cabin


A few Bee's emerged from Plum & June's Let's Get Acquainted blog hop this summer and the one I'm in is the Global Scrap Bee.  November is Leigh Anne's turn to be Queen and she picked this log cabin tutorial with low volume one side and coloured the other. She wanted coloured centres and I have to say I love her choice of block.  I made green and others are making other rainbow colours.  I think this will be a lovely quilt.  Blocks measure at 8.5" and great fun to make.

I've been told that traditionally the log cabin has red or yellow in the centre to symbolise the light of the fire or heart of the house.  It's a welcoming gesture and the colours surrounding it are light on one side and dark on the other.  This contrast in the block gives so many ways of arranging the blocks they even have their own names like Barn Raising and Fields and Furrows.

I really like these links that show lots of options and variations on this block from Piecemeal quilts and Connecting threads.  Fons & Porter  have a 24 page free booklet just on log cabins here.  It's been a while since I had made a log cabin block and I really enjoyed making these!

2 comments:

  1. Cute!! I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look great! I still have to make mine but am looking forward to getting to work on them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...