Thursday 11 September 2014

A Finished Quilt Top - Penny sampler update

 

I finished it!  At last I have a Penny Sampler Quilt top.  My frosty version (previously posted about here and here) of Stitched in Color's design is pieced and I have to admit I'm all paper pieced out!  It's been a few weeks of horses, teapots, teacups, flowers, lots of diamonds and lots of removing paper (my least favourite bit) and it's finally all pieced together. 



The massive Kona Seafoam hanging diamonds doesn't dominate as much now it's a complete quilt top.  The blocks and borders are a mixture of pieced blocks, applique and foundation paper piecing.  I still have to hand embroider the birds tail and feet and the horses bridles on.  Rachel shows how to machine sketch these bits in with black thread but I like the idea of adding some embroidery to this quilt top.


I'm going to hand quilt this one and eventually it will end up in our bedroom.  Trying to keep Wilbur and Charly paw prints off it will be a challenge and it will probably take me all winter to quilt it but I'm looking forward to it!

Linking to all the Friday finishes, Crazy Mom Quilts and

25 comments:

  1. beautiful!! i love how the colors pop out of the grays and low volume! hand quilting will be the perfect compliment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ruth! It is absolutely gorgeous altogether... well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love this kind of quilts with lots of things to see! Beautiful colours, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is so gorgeous - and hand quilting will be perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful! Adding the hand embroidery and hand quilting is going to put this quilt over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the finish! The hand embroidery and quilting sounds like a labor of love that is sure to make this a spectacular quilt for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Have fun hand quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hand-quilting is ambitious! This turned out awesome. I regret not being able to take the class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful, congratulations! Looks like you will be busy this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - that's an awesome top. I'll be interested to see the embroidery you add

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. I have never made a sampler quilt, but yours is so inspiring for me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a lot of work, it really is beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Beautifully done and I love your additions! The colors you chose are wonderful :) Congrats on an awesome finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit, the colour scheme is not my favorite but your top is stunning! I think you know that's worth every minute spent on it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really lovely, sort of classic but done more modern. It's going to be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the complete top! All of the pops of colour are just so right! I especially like the golden yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Seafoam colour. What a great quilt top. Was this your own sampler design or did you follow a pattern/sew along?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...