Wednesday 11 November 2015

WIP Wednesday - quilting the Christmas hexies!

I had to step away from the computer at the weekend and get back to finishing my Christmas Hexagon samples for the IPS meeting this Friday. I decided to put the white snowflake on a wintery grey background instead of the red I had originally chosen. At last Thursday's sewing night, this was the one everyone preferred. The plan is to place a chunky white candle in the upper right corner and use it for the centre of the table
Straight line down to a point and make a perpendicular line to the left and back to centre.  Then right and back to centre, 45 deg up to left corner and back to centre and then down to the bottom right and back to centre.  Same for the other side, up and down at an angle and finally straight down to the next point.

In keeping with the snowflake design I quilted it free motion with some asterisks that to me look like stars.  I really like how they came out against this Kona Steel background.  I glued the hexies in place with dots of basting glue and now have to stitch them in place and decide what colour to bind it in. I'm thinking of a white print or maybe a blue?


I just got the last few hexagons out the remnants of this blue fabric to finish this Star of David design. I really like the star made in the empty spaces and straight line quilted these guys through each hexie point as per the this tutorial on Modern Handcraft.  Thinking of binding this one in red!

I made a snowy Christmas tree and then thought about spacing it like the Modern Handcraft tutorial so made a second one!

I really do like this way of quilting them.  It is really fast and looks very effective!  No idea what colour to bind this one in!

When I saw this post by Little Penguin Quilts on using Hexies to make a boring cushion look trendy, I thought that would be cool to try on a plain beige/cream cover I have sitting in the clean laundry pile.  So I pulled some more traditional Christmas fabric (sorry I don't know the name - came as a layer cake bundle from the Limerick Quilt Centre!) and got this far with another Christmas tree.

I'm going to be giving these away at this stage I've got so many now!
Linking up to
Sew Fresh QuiltsWIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

15 comments:

  1. You are on a roll! I really like those trees. Turning them into a pillow cover is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ruth these are just lovely!!! You make me want to do some of these, asap. Diann does some terrific projects, too doesn't she. And you know I told you how much I love your hexie snowflake; love the idea of a chunky pillar candle sitting on that tabletopper. I think red binding with the blues in your Star of David (love how that "appears") will really "be da bomb" lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ruth! I love the snowflake!!! How cool!! As for binding on the tree my vote is for red, maybe with stripes!??

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all looking so great. The asterisk star quilting is awesome, what a great idea. A pop of red for the binding sounds great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - I love the snowflake, I like the other projects too but the snowflake just gets me!!! Now here's a cheeky question .... I have just got some tiny hexie papers with a magazine and I wondered if I could 'borrow' your idea?!!! Pretty please?! I have some friends to make for so it would be very scaled down and fit on a Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Ruth. These look so great. I couldn't figure out with your sketches how the snowflake was going to come together it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the snowflake idea!!! You just added something else to my list to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these hexi projects, especially the snowflake. The grey background is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking great!! Thanks for the FMQ tutorial. I think that's one I can manage to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these designs! The snowflake is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun to see that you were inspired by my hexi project! In turn, I am loving your Christmas tree hexis and plan to try that one myself. Just have to decide what colors to use! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That star garland quilting is so lovely Ruth! I love how your snowflake is coming along.
    The way you've quilted the hexies down looks great and like something I'd be able to do. It is really cool looking how the quilting lines intersect in the Christmas tree pieces! You must be having a lot of fun with these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so pretty. I love the pale wintry colours you are using on the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute! I especially love the asterisk quilting.
    (But I confess I got overexcited by the correct spelling of asterisk. Asterix and Obelix have a lot to answer for.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...