He is now winging his way across the Atlantic as part of #MQSteamSith. I picked the light side and was paired up with the dark so I chose Vader - he really is the best baddy - sorry Kylo Ren is not a patch on the grand daddy!
This was a real experiment in terms of technique and materials and I'm happy to report my adventures with glow in the dark fabric & thread and Lara's Crafted Applique method worked out a treat.
The most fun I had was making the templates. He's modelled after Lego Star Wars and for some reason I gave him batteries in his hands. No clue why. G did ask me why I made him look so angry - but well he's Vader! Not exactly known for his smiles!
Quilting him was a bit of a pain with the glow in the dark thread. It's a 40 weight and not a huge amount on the spool. Straight stitching close to the edge worked out really well but the free motion had the top thread shredding a lot and lots of breakage. I figured the layers, including the glow in the dark fabric, which is a poly something or other and quite thick, might not be helping so I switched to a Jeans needle and plain sailing from there - makes me think I might try a bigger needle for regular free motion too to see if that helps at all.