Tuesday 22 August 2017

Festival of Quilts 2017

Donna Goymer - Free to Roam
On walking into the two halls of the Festival of Quilts, this is the first quilt I gravitated to.  Everything about this piece speaks to me of the strength and just plain amazingness (?) that is an elephant.  Maybe because we are all mammals we feel an affinity or maybe its the big ears (I'm told mine are not small!) but elephants have such appeal that I wasn't the only one making this quilt my first stop!
Henriet Bovenkerk - Free Living for Everyone
Grace Meijer - Meiko
For some reason at this show I was particularly drawn to trees.  I have an unfinished tree project in the works so maybe that was why.  Apart from elephants, there is a large percentage of the 200 photos I took of trees!
Suzan Engler -Winter Silence
Jacqueline Amies - Deck Chairs
I had never seen the 3D creations before but was blown away by them!  This one in particular was just so much fun and so much detail, hats off to the maker.  All the deck chairs are quilts, top and bottom.  There are hats, seagulls and flipflops sewn items too!  I voted for this as viewers choice.
Montse Forcadelli Blasco - Camelia
I love the pixelated effect in this top one and the organic madness of the circles below!
Cathering Jack Coupland - Referencing Sonia
Yes another elephant!
Pam Morris -Nellie
Sue Trevor - Violin
The violin came second and a waistcoat first but I loved the colours in this and it was so hard, to not pick it up!
Dorothy Hill - Ohio Stars
The use of fabric in this one speaks to me somehow!
Ex DC quilters - Amsterdam Houses
One of the surprises I found at my first Festival of Quilts was recognising a mile away bloggy friends quilts.  I spotted Kaja@Sew Slowly and Abigail @Cut and Alter 's pieces from quite a distance away and had to say hello like meeting old friends!
Kaja Ziesler - At the Edge
Abigail Sheridan de Graaff - Should I Stay or Should I go
Of the modern sections Victoria Finlay Wolfe's gallery was amazing - I love her use of colour.
Some of the other modern quilts that caught my eye.  Seems like circles are calling to me too!
Anna Galvin - Broken Records
Sarah Nicholsom - Reflections of Bridge No. 186
Kim Soper - Lincoln
There were some quilts from QuiltCon there and I was so happy to see Lincoln in person.  I just love this quilt and the idea that it is improvisationally pieces just fries my mind!
A completely different portrait that was just gorgeous, was this winner of the pictorial quilts.  I love everything about this quilt: the light, the detail the colours!
Janneke de Vries-Bodzinga - African Village
This running man was amazing and just beautiful quilting!
Birgit Schueller - The Sprinter
I couldn't get a photo of the best in show miniature quilt.  The crowds around it were three and four deep and it was a bit wee to be catching a glimpse of it.  I did see this beauty in the miniatures gallery, teeny tiny flying geese!
Kumiko Frydll - Navigator
Dorothy Hill - Las Passacagalia Goes Large
On the opposite scale of things was a La Passacaglia Rosette going large and this fun quilt with brilliant fussy cut details!
Dawn Monk - My Butterfly Garden
Lindsey Neill - Die Beem
And we are back to trees again!
Janie Harvey - Douglas - Field in France in the mist
So there you have it!  These are the ones I manged to select from over 200.  I hope you enjoyed them in virtual form!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these photos with those of us who didn't get to Birmingham. Beautiful work. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to Mary. After hearing about it for so long it was really lovely to get to see it in person!

      Delete
  2. How exciting to see Kaja and Abigail's quilts in person! I am particularly drawn to Free Living for Everyne. It is fun to see the festival through your post; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lovethe colours in it and would have loved to see it at eye level but quite a few are up high and I'm only 5ft tall!

      Delete
  3. WOW!! These quilts are amazing! Thank you for all the work you did taking pictures and notes about each one. That sprinter really fascinated me. And so many of them are absolutely gorgeous. I could never pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Janice. I love the layering and repetition in the runners. I can't help think of the movie the Running Man when I see it!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous show Ruth! To see those quilts in person - wow, I envy you.
    LOL, I picked Kaja's out of your post immediately and can see how you spot it from across the room and greet it like an old friend.
    So much jaw dropping talent! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved looking back over the photos too and that surprised me as I could see themes of things I was drawn to. Hard to get to this number to write about as there are many more amazing quilts!

      Delete
  5. So many cool things to see! I want to make my own quilted deckchair now.
    I love the minimalist tres (die beem) and the Ohio stars and those crazy organic circles. How were those circles made? Layer upon layer of applique or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I thought the same thing but wondered if I'd ever let anyone sit in it!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the lovely photos. Everybody put up different quilts to show and they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thinks that's interesting too - the different things that people are drawn to. Trees for me this year!

      Delete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...