Sunday 18 August 2013

Penny Sampler

I've signed up for the Penny Sampler class over at Stiched in ColorHere's the quilt we are going to make on Rachel's photostream on Flickr.  The horses are what drew me to this beautiful quilt.  I couldn't resist signing up for it.  It's a mixture of applique, precise piecing and paper piecing with a Scandinavian theme.  Rachel has given us some hints on fabric selection and a blank worksheet to colour in to help with our choices.
I'm making the lap size and so I removed the bottom row of diamonds.  This is a quilt I'm making for myself, I can see myself snuggling under this on the sofa watching movies in the wintertime!  With that in mind I'm going with low volume with a pop of orange  in places and Kona Snow to add that wintery touch.

This exercise has been tons of fun.  I've used Photoshop elements to colour in some of the sections.  I initially started with navy and bright colours and rapidly changed my mind!  Above is my third colouring in session and the one I'm most happy with.

I found this Moda low volume bundle at Fat Quarter shop.  I took note of the fabrics and picked the ones I liked (almost all of them!) in the yardage suggested by Rachel and put these Kona solids with them from Fluffy Sheeep Quilting.
And this is what I have received in the post this week!



I totally love all of the fabrics and how different they are from my normal choices.  The bright blue and pink may have to come out but I hope to use them in small spots in the quilt.

My favourite fabric in the whole bundle is this musical fabric from Aspen Frost.

We are starting on Monday - so excited!  Really looking forward to making this beautiful design.  If you want to register you still can.  Link is here.

Liking up to Sunday Stash at MsMidge.

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! Gorgeous stack! And your colouring sheet looks fab! Can't wait to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost signed up for that quilt .. almost .. I love your fabric choices and can't wait to see your quilt grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your fabric pull for this project. I can't wait to see it take shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowser - that looks awesome. I think it will be a beautiful quilt. And I totally agree about the musical notes - that is one of those fabrics that will go with everything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so wonderful! I'm always so eager to see what the finished results are! Love, love that little stack of colours. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love your fabric stack! I think I'm going to incorporate a lot of lot-volume into mine too. I'm just itching to work on the first blocks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely selection and well done for having the most visits from the Sunday Stash linky last week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...